Local News

COVID: NT records one new case, with restrictions easing in Rockhole

covid_4.png

The Northern Territory has recorded one new case of COVID-19 overnight, taking the cluster to 52 cases.

The Binjari teenager, who was previously identified as a close contact, tested positive while at Howard Springs.

A new public exposure site has been announced being the Shell Coles Express in Katherine on November 23 between 4.50pm and 5.05pm.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Michael Gunner says the Salvos Op Shop in Katherine has been up upgraded to a close contact site on November 13 between 10.30am and 10.50am

“There are only two days left in the replication for this site but we now have evidence more than one positive case was there at the same time.”

“So we need anyone at the Op Shop during that time period to get tested and stay isolated until a negative test returns.”

Wastewater results

Despite another positive wastewater result in Katherine’s Bicentennial Road catchment, authorities are optimistic.

“This is where the children, the positive cases from yesterday were living and the signal strength is weaker so we are pretty happy with that,” Mr Gunner says.

“The wastewater results from this catchment will be critical tomorrow, they will help us work out if we have truly trapped this.”

Fragments of the virus was also detected in the Martin Place sub-catchment with further investigations underway.

Restrictions are being eased in Rockhole from midday today, with residents now allowed to leave home for one of the five reasons including to access medical treatment and essential goods and services.

chief_rpl.png

Rumours online

The Chief Minister has addressed some of the rumours swirling on social media about remote communities being forced to get their COVID jabs.

Mr Gunner says the accusations about the Defence Force are grossly untrue.

“They aren’t carrying weapons, they are carrying fresh food for people and the ADF are just one small part of an extraordinary effort that’s underway to care for our communities.”

He is urging people to ignore the “insane, unhinged stuff that’s spreading online.”

“99.9 per cent of the b-s that’s flying around on the internet about the Territory is coming from flogs outside the Territory, mostly America, Canada and the UK.”

“If anybody thinks that we’re going to be distracted or intimidated by tin-foil hat-wearing tossers sitting in their parents' basements in Florida then you do not know us Territorians.”