NT WorkSafe Review
The Territory Labor Government has released a six-month review of the Territory’s workplace regulator, NT WorkSafe.
The review looks at present policies, procedures and activities, and considers how best practices can be implemented to support staff and the industry.
The review makes 27 recommendations to improve workplace health and safety regulation in the NT, to protect Territory workers and businesses. They include:
- rebalancing organisational priorities to meet Territorians’ expectations about work safety
- ensuring people across the Territory have access to NT WorkSafe
- upgrading skills in relation to compliance and investigation, and improving systems
- refocusing resources to allow for prosecutions and ‘hard-compliance’ activities
- clarifying regulator functions to further strengthen independence.
The Territory Labor Government commissioned independent consultant Tim Lyons to carry out the review. He has previously completed a similar review of the Queensland regulator and worked closely with industry while compiling his NT WorkSafe review.
To view the final report, visit: https://justice.nt.gov.au/attorney-general-and-justice/law-reform-reviews/published-reports-outcomes-and-historical-consultations/outcomes-of-consultation-and-reviews-reports